2015 General Description
Love William & Mary? Want to introduce new international students to the College? The Reves Center is seeking enthusiastic students to serve as International Peer Leaders for Graduate International Student Orientation. International Peer Leaders are volunteers, but gain immeasurable benefits through their service!
As an International Peer Leader, you will:
- Assist William & Mary’s newest international students as they transition to life in the United States.
- Serve as a peer leader for a group of new international students.
- Stay in touch with students in your group by email before they arrive, welcome them, and answer their questions about life at William & Mary.
- Provide check-in assistance to new students (this may include leading shopping trips and campus tours, staffing check-in tables, etc)
- Lead small group discussions and activities during orientation workshop sessions.
- Assist the Reves Center with orientation logistics, including food pickups, room setup, etc.
Why become an International Peer Leader? Share in these benefits:
- Enhance your advising and leadership experience
- Improve your intercultural communication by meeting students from different countries
- Be part of a new international student’s first few days in the U.S.
- Meet new students and have fun!
International Peer Leaders need to be:
- Registered as a W&M student
- Skilled at working in a group environment
- Able to interact comfortably with diverse student populations
- Professional, mature, and enthusiastic
- Available for scheduled events. Preference will be given to applicants able to attend all events in a given orientation session
- An ambassador for W&M (e.g., knowledgeable and excited about W&M and able to talk “positively” about the College)
It's helpful, (but not required) if you:
- Are an international student, or have experience interacting with a different culture
- Have foreign language experience (especially Chinese or Korean)
Schedule for Graduate Orientation International Peer Leaders:
students are encouraged to apply to become Peer Leaders for Graduate International Orientation. Preference will be given to students able to attend all trainings and events (although if you're not in Williamsburg at the moment, we understand if you can't make it!).
- Training, Friday, April 10, 2015 (training will last approximately 1 hour, and will be scheduled with the input of participants)
- Preparation session, Wednesday, August 12, 2015 (session will last approximately 1 hour and will be scheduled with the input of participants)
- Graduate Orientation Activities, Thursday, August 13, 2015 - Saturday, August 15, 2015
- New International Graduate Student Reception, Friday August 21, 2015 (4-6pm)
Thank you for your interest in serving as an International Peer Leader! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Emily Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org