This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
International Peer Leader Application (Graduate Orientation)
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
2014 General DescriptionLove William & Mary? Want to introduce new international students to the College? The Reves Center is seeking enthusiastic students to serve as International Peer Leaders for Graduate International Student Orientation. International Peer Leaders are volunteers, but gain immeasurable benefits through their service!
As an International Peer Leader, you will:- Assist William & Mary’s newest international students as they transition to life in the United States.
- Serve as a peer leader for a group of new international students.
- Stay in touch with students in your group by email before they arrive, welcome them, and answer their questions about life at William & Mary.
- Provide check-in assistance to new students (this may include leading shopping trips and campus tours, staffing check-in tables, etc)
- Lead small group discussions and activities during orientation workshop sessions.
- Assist the Reves Center with orientation logistics, including food pickups, room setup, etc.
Why become an International Peer Leader? Share in these benefits:- Enhance your advising and leadership experience
- Improve your intercultural communication by meeting students from different countries
- Be part of a new international student’s first few days in the U.S.
- Meet new students and have fun!
International Peer Leaders need to be:- Registered as a W&M student
- Skilled at working in a group environment
- Able to interact comfortably with diverse student populations
- Professional, mature, and enthusiastic
- Available for scheduled events. Preference will be given to applicants able to attend all events in a given orientation session
- An ambassador for W&M (e.g., knowledgeable and excited about W&M and able to talk “positively” about the College)
It's helpful, (but not required) if you:- Are an international student, or have experience interacting with a different culture
- Have foreign language experience (especially Chinese or Korean)
Schedule for Graduate Orientation International Peer Leaders:Current graduate students and rising seniors are encouraged to apply to become Peer Leaders for Graduate International Orientation. Preference will be given to students able to attend all trainings and events (although if you're not in Williamsburg at the moment, we understand if you can't make it!).
- Training, Sunday, April 6, 2014 (2-4pm)
- Preparation session, Wednesday, August 13, 2014 (3-4pm)
- Graduate Orientation Activities, Thursday, August 14, 2014 (9am-6pm, in shifts)
- Graduate Orientation Activities and Sessions: Friday, August 15, 2014, and Saturday, August 16, 2014
- New International Graduate Student Reception, Friday August 22, 2014 (4-6pm)
Apply!Thank you for your interest in serving as an International Peer Leader! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Emily Hogge (email@example.com).
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: The deadline listed is for REGISTRATION with the Reves Center! The application itself will be due to the third-party provider or host university directly, based on THEIR deadlines (which may be before or after the April 15th W&M registration deadline).|
** Students will be notified of their status for this program and be able to complete post-decision materials following the term's application deadline.