In order to promote the mutual understanding and cooperation between China and other countries, the Chinese government has set up a series of scholarship programs to sponsor international students and scholars to study and conduct research at Chinese universities. For more detailed information about the scholarship, please refer to the 2018 Chinese Scholarship Guide.pdf
. Students are encouraged to discuss the Chinese university options
with faculty in the Chinese Studies
The application for the Chinese Government Scholarship is now open. Interested students should complete the Global Education Office (GEO) online application by March 12
. In order to receive the scholarship, students must be nominated by GEO. After nomination, selected students must submit additional application materials to GEO by March 19.
GEO will submit the corresponding application documents to the receiving agency no later than March 23, 2018.
For more information about the scholarship, please refer to http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina
To be eligible, applicants must
- be a US citizen in good health.
- have one year of college level Chinese
- be studying abroad for the 2018/2019 academic year or 2019 spring semester
- be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs
The eligibility requirements are set by the Chinese government and not W&M.
Preference will be given to students that
- are majoring in Chinese
- are rising sophomores or juniors
Application Documents (in duplicate):
and click “Scholarship Application Online for International Students
Read “Tips for online application”
carefully before clicking “NEXT”
to the registration page.
Log in with your user name and password. For new user, please click “Create an account” for registration.
Fill in the correct Program Category
and Agency Number
. An Agency Number represents a specific application receiving agency and the correct Program Category is necessary before filling in the Agency Number. Please make sure you fill it in correctly, otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application or your application will not be accepted.
- Your ‘Program Category’ is Type A and ‘Agency Number’ is 8401. Once the correct ‘Agency Number’ is entered, the name of the agency will automatically emerge.
Fill in the Online Application Form
and Upload Supporting Documents
correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left side of the page.
Applicants are required to select a discipline before choosing their majors. Please refer to the Disciplines Index, which can be downloaded from Help, if you have any doubt about the disciplines and majors.
Check each part of your Application
carefully before submitting it. Click Submit
to submit your Application
. These submitted documents will be the only reference for the universities to confirm the admission.
You can make changes to your application by clicking Withdraw and Edit the Application
on the top of the page. But make sure to submit it again by clicking Submit
after finishing all the changes. Otherwise, the retrieved application will become invalid and your new application will not be received either.
You can download and print the completed Application Form
by clicking Print the Application Form
Submit the paper application form and other supporting documents to Molly DeStafney at the Reves Center for International Studies.
Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer (11.0). Menu selection functions may not work in other browsers.
Only Chinese and English are accepted for the online application
Please submit the following documents if applicable
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship(in Chinese or English).
- Notarized highest diploma (photocopy): Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
- Academic transcripts: Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
- A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)
- Recommendation letters: Applicants for graduate programs or senior scholar programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.
- Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a their own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit a their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (the original copy should be kept by the applicant). The form designed by the Chinese quarantine authority can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or www.campuschina.org The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
- Pre-admission Letter from Chinese Government Scholarship universities.
- Language qualification certificate (e.g. HSK certificates)
The above documents should be bound on top left corner (in duplicate). No application documents will be returned.
Frequently Asked Questions.pdf