In order to promote the mutual understanding and cooperation between China and other countries, the Chinese government has set up a series of scholarship programs to sponsor international students and scholars to study and conduct research at Chinese universities. Students are encouraged to discuss the
The application for the Chinese Government Scholarship is now open. Interested students should complete the Global Education Office (GEO) online application by
. In order to receive the scholarship, students must be nominated by GEO. After nomination, selected students must complete the online applications and submit all necessary materials by
STEP 1: SELECT UNIVERSITY AND MAJOR
1. Visit www.campuschina.org
2. Click “Scholarships” to know more information about CGS
3. Click “Universities & Programs” to find top three universities and major you are most interested in
* Only the listed Chinese higher education institutions in the Directory are available for your study in China. It currently only covers universities in mainland China.
* To find your most desired university, you can look on each university’s website, search for the courses, and see if they are taught in English if so desired
* Majors should be offered by Chinese universities and be based on your actual educational background. The duration of the Major study should match the program you apply for.
* If you are applying for senior scholar programs, the major you choose should be the same as or closely related to the major of Master’s degree.
* You have to select a discipline before choosing majors. You can refer to the Disciplines Index (under “Help”).
STEP 2: REGISTER ONLINE
1. Visit www.campuschina.org
* Use Firefox or IE 11.0 (menu selection functions may not work in other browsers)
* Only Chinese and English are accepted languages to complete the online application
2. Click “Scholarship Application Online for International Students” to create an account
3. Activate your account by clicking the link sent to your mail (The link will only be valid for 7 days and it might be sent to spam box)
4. Sign in and Click “Registration online” for registration
5. Fill in the correct Program Category: Type A
Fill in the correct Agency Number: 8401
(the name of the agency will automatically emerge)
6. Follow the steps listed on the left of the page and fill in Online Application Form, please make sure:
* your name on the application form is consistent with your name on your passport. This is very important for the visa application.
* your home address should be an American address If you want to apply for a VISA in U.S.
* you can always be reached by permanent contact information. Notices for interview and award letter will be sent to your email. Please check your mailbox regularly and reply ASAP; otherwise you may lose your opportunity. Permanent contact information will be used to deliver Admission package (usually by UPS).
* fill in the contact information of your family member if you have no contact in China
STEP3: PREPARE AND UPLOAD SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
1. Passport/Visa Style Photo
2. Certificates of Highest Education
3. Academic transcripts of Highest Education
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal
5. A photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Foreigner Physical Examination Form.pdf)
completed in English. keep the original for your records as you will need it for the visa application. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
6. Two letters of recommendation
from (associate) professors if applying for senior scholars or graduate programs. Recommendation letters for language or undergraduate programs are not mandatory, however, providing letters increase your chances of being selected.
Example of Art (6 color pictures) and Music Work (1 audio tape) (Only for the applicants for Fine Arts and Music)
valid documents of your legal guardians in China (If under 18 years old）
Pre-admission Letter from designated universities (is encouraged if available)
Valid HSK 4 or higher-level Certificate (Chinese Proficiency Test), IELTS or TOFEL report (if required)
If already enrolled in a Chinese university in current academic year, include a permission letter to continue your study (issued by your host university)
- Click “Submit”
to submit your Application
- Make changes to your application by clicking “Withdraw and Edit the Application”
on the top of the page. But make sure to submit it again by clicking “Submit”
after making the changes.
- Download the completed Application Form by clicking “Print the Application Form”
*From this year on, hard copies are no longer required. The submitted documents will be the only reference for the applied universities to confirm admission, so please make sure all the documents are truthful, correct and complete.
* Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must have notarized Chinese or English translations.
STEP 4: PLACEMENT AND SCHOLARSHIP CONFIRMATION
1. March 14
: Deadline for receiving online applications
: Education office of the Embassy of China in the U.S will select CGS candidates and send an “Award Letter” to them. Face to face or internet interviews may be arranged during this time. If you haven’t received a letter by the end of April, that probably means you are not selected as a candidate.
You can use the Award Letter, which proves that you are eligible for CGS program, to directly contact your targeted Chinese universities for pre-admission. This might result in receiving pre-admission letter(s) from Chinese universities which could increase your chances of receiving a scholarship, and getting into your preferred university. If you don’t get a pre-admission letter, that’s also fine.
As soon as you get the pre-admission letter(s), please upload to online application system if there is still a place to upload. Meanwhile, please send the scanned copy back to Education office of the Chinese Embassy (specify your name and CSC number in your letter for quick search)
: China Scholarship Council (CSC) in Beijing will forward the application to universities for placement approval
Applications with a specific pre-admission letter(s) will be sent directly to the universities which issued that letter
Applications without pre-admission letter(s) will be sent to universities based on the order of your preference. Acceptance into the preferred universities can’t be guaranteed. The CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments to the candidate's host university, field of study, and duration of the scholarship, especially when candidates are rejected by all preferred universities.
: If you are a scholarship winner, you will receive your scholarship confirmation from Education Office in U.S. by the end of July. The admission package, including the formal Admission Letter and the original Student-visa Application Form JW 201 will be delivered from Beijing to Education Office first and then to your permanent address. Candidates should inform the Education Office if there is any change to their contact information.
STEP 5: APPLY FOR VISA
Apply for a visa
at the Chinese embassy or consulate-general with the original documents and photocopies of the admission letter, visa application (JW201), Foreigner Physical Examination Form and a valid passport (X1 visa for more than 6 months in China, or X2 visa for up to 6 months)
Find more information at http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/
Apply for a visa at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate General based on your State of residence. (Check service area at http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm
). Sending your visa application or document(s) to the incorrect office may result in complication or delay in processing or even denial of application.
Without a visa
, you won’t be able to register with institutions, nor will you be able to apply for the residence permit in China
STEP 6: UPON ARRIVAL IN CHINA
Register at the host university:
You must register at your host university before the deadline as specified in the original Admission Letter. If you fail to register you will automatically lose your scholarship.
If staying in China for more than 6 months you must submit the original documents (passport, Admission Letter, Foreigner Physical Examination Form, and Blood Test Report to the local health quarantine office to have your physical examination report verified. If you do not meet this requirement you will be required to re-take the physical examination.
You must apply for a residence permit at the local police authority within 30 days upon arrival. Required documents are passport, Admission Letter, Visa Form (JW201), verified health report, and a photo that meets the image requirements of the authority. Staying without registration is illegal and will lead to fines.