Spanish Studies Program - Alicante, Spain
Why choose Alicante?
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
About the Spanish Studies Program
The Spanish Studies program is specially designed for intermediate and advanced students in Spanish who want a rich immersion experience on a campus in Spain. The program integrates thoughtful synthesis of homestays, study visits, language exchanges, volunteer, and other cultural opportunities into the curriculum, so that you may more fully integrate into the alicantino culture.
The goal of the Spanish Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of alicantino culture, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de Alicante. A special Spanish Studies Abroad designed course in cultural immersion helps you to process your study abroad experience.Through this coursework, homestays with native families, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in Alicante to be a highly immersive study abroad experience.
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
- Intensive Language Period, designed to prepare you for life and study at Universidad de Alicante
- Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students learning Spanish
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Independent Research Projects
- Intercambios with native speakers
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Valencia, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums and cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Spanish Studies Abroad-designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Moros y Cristianos, Hogueras de San Juan, and Carnaval
- Volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life through student clubs, organizations, and university events
- Homestays with local families
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, support of the onsite Spanish Studies Abroad Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
- Successful completion of two years of high school Spanish or two semesters of elementary college-level Spanish, heritage speaker, or the equivalent;
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish coursework.
- Enrollment in individual courses, especially language courses, depends upon your placement score on UA's Online Placement Examination and classroom performance during the add/drop period.
Spanish Studies Abroad
433 West Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011