Integrated Studies with Spanish Students - Alicante, Spain
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
The Center for Cross-Cultural Study's (CC-CS) Integrated Studies with Spanish Students Program gives advanced Spanish-level students the unique opportunity to take classes alongside Spanish students at Universidad de Alicante, while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines CC-CS programming. The program integrates thoughtful synthesis of homestays, study visits, language exchanges, volunteer, and other cultural opportunities into the curriculum, so that you may more fully integrate into the alicantino culture.
Learn the Language...
- Intensive Language Period, designed to prepare you for life and study at a foreign campus
- Guided direct enrollment in a wide-array of courses offered through Universidad de Alicante
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Independent Research Projects
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Barcelona, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums and cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
Live the Life...
- CC-CS-designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Moros y Cristianos, Hogueras de San Juan, and Carnaval
- Internships and volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life through student clubs, organizations, and university events
- Homestays with local families
...with the Center for Cross-Cultural Study
The goal of the Integrated Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of the community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. An initial intensive language & culture period prepares you for the challenges of studying in a foreign university and provides you with a base to help you navigate through your experience, after which you take courses alongside Spanish students from Universidad de Alicante's regular course offerings from a variety of departments.
Through the university you also benefit from access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities, all of which allow you to more fully integrate into campus life. Alongside homestays with local families and a CC-CS course in cultural engagement, students will find CC-CS in Alicante to be a highly immersive study abroad experience.
CC-CS program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite CC-CS Resident Director, predeparture support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, computer access, and a CC-CS transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
Successful completion of one advanced college-level Spanish course or the equivalent; 3.0 for Spanish and overall GPA. Enrollment in individual courses, especially language courses, depends upon your placement schore on UA's Online Examination and classroom performance during the add/drop period.
The Center for Cross-Cultural Study
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002