| Course Information
| W&M Faculty
| Program Fees
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED: February 15, 2023 (11:59pm)
If you are applying for a Reves Summer Scholarship, the deadline for students applying to the Taiwan Program is 2/15. Please email Lbmcdonald@wm.edu OR firstname.lastname@example.org for us to open a reves scholarship application for you!
is the hub of science and technology in Taiwan. From the historic wonders of Daxi Old Street to the memorable shopping and dining experiences at Jhongli Xinming Night Market, the cultural diversity of Taoyuan is paralleled by an equal abundance of natural attractions, earning the area the nicknames of the "flower kingdom" and "land of a thousand ponds." Mandarin Chinese is the predominant language of the city.
William & Mary’s summer program intakes place in Tauyuan at National Central University. This program gives students seven weeks of Mandarin language and cultural immersion. Students will take courses in Chinese language and culture. The program also includes some excursions.
Students will live in dormitories.
One year of college-level Mandarin.
Students will earn 11 credits through the Taiwan summer program. Enrollment in language courses is dependent on prior knowledge. Summer courses are:
- CHIN 200/300/400: Intermediate/ Upper Intermediate/ Advanced Chinese; Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing (8 credits)
- CHIN 303: Communicating Effectively w Chinese (3 credits)
There is a required 1 credit course
to be taken in the Spring prior to departure, which you will be registered for following program acceptance. This course is designed specifically for students going on the summer program and is intended to enhance your cross-cultural understanding of Taiwan and to cover a variety of pre-departure information. The scheduling of this course will be dependent on the class times possible for program participants.
Courses are taught by W&M faculty and faculty at a local University. Grades will appear on the W&M transcript and will be included in GPA calculations.
W&M Faculty: Qian Su
Arrival date: 6/3/2023
Departure date: 7/28/2023
With a deposit ($700) due deadline: March 10, 2023 (Friday prior to Spring break)
And a balance due deadline: April 3, 2023
Application fee information:
The application fee is due by the deadline and should be paid online at the GEO Marketplace Store.
Whoever is making the payment will need student 93#, email, and phone number. The application fee is refundable in the event that you are not accepted into the program or the program is canceled by W&M.
2023 Program fee: $ 8400
Students are responsible for meals, visa expenses and airfare.
Reves Summer Scholarships
are available for this program.
- Welcome dinner
- On-Site Orientation
- Fulfills COLL 300
- Ground transportation
- Farewell dinner
- Some excursion admissions tickets
- Some day or weekend excursions depending on the program
- CISI Insurance
- student dorm housing
- Wifi- depending on the program. Please check with your Global Education Advisor
- On-site support services
- W&M credits taught by W&M faculty
- Some meals will be covered
- Students must be an active W&M undergraduate student in good standing, not on academic or disciplinary probation during time abroad, and eligible to take classes at the W&M Williamsburg campus to study abroad.
- Students currently on-campus must successfully complete 1 credit spring course.
- For more information about eligibility, please visit our Policies that Affect You page.