Study abroad in Kyoto – one of Japan’s most traditional cities – in CIEE’s Open Campus Block program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks and choose your courses that fit your academic needs. Anyone looking for the unique combination of language, people, and emerging technology will find that and more in the heart of Japan’s “cultural capital”, Kyoto.
Stay in Kyoyo the entire time or spend other blocks at our Open Campus Block locations in Berlin, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Copenhagen, Dublin, London, Madrid, Monteverde, Paris, Rome, Santiago, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, and Yucatan.
BE ENTRANCED BY THE ZEN ROCK GARDEN OF RYOANJI TEMPLE
Contrast the dazzling Golden Temple and more serene Silver Temple; stroll the Philosopher’s Walk.
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE “CULTURAL CAPITAL” OF JAPAN
With its rich cultural, religious, and artistic traditions dating back 1,200+ years, soak in Kyoto’s depth.
INDULGE IN KYOTO’S FAMOUS “UJI” GREEN TEA
Either as a drink or green tea flavored pastries, ice cream, and other dessert
Excursions & Activities
Ample activities and daytrips will enliven your life in Kyoto and its surrounding cultural destinations. Sample excursions include:
- A hike up Mt. Hiei (cable car/ropeway and bus trip are easier options!) to World Heritage Site Enryaku-ji, head temple of the Tendai Sect of Buddhism – with vistas of Lake Biwa, Japan’s largest, and the whole Kyoto valley;
- A one-car train ride north of town to Kurama or a bus ride to nearby Ohara village, with two breathtaking temples (Jakko-in and Sanzen-in), after a hot footbath, traditional meal or relaxing hot-spring dip;
- A day-trip to Nara – Japan’s capital before Kyoto – with its great seated Buddha in Todaiji temple, the world’s largest wooden structure, Kasuga Taisha Shrine with its thousands of stone lanterns, and the Deer Park, where they will “bow” in thanks as you offer the deer biscuits;
- Volunteering. Give back and create a deeper connection to Kyoto. Opportunities are being developed for students to volunteer at local organizations, youth centers, schools, and more. As long as the local health and safety regulations permit, in-person volunteering will be offered.
- Internships. Build new skills and intercultural competencies through the CIEE Academic Internship, and become an active member of Kyoto’s cutting-edge high-tech environment.
- Research. Pursue a research project of your own design incorporating independent, local field work – possibilities include religion, history, traditional art-forms, Manga & popular culture.
- Service-learning projects. Combine course-based learning with practical, relevant project experience to meet a community-defined need. These projects are under development.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Japanese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Approximate Decision Date (Subject To Change)||Start Date||End Date|