SFS TURKS & CAICOS: FOUNDATIONS OF TROPICAL MARINE ECOSYSTEMS (WINTER)
- Term: Winter
- Credits: 3 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Spend your winter break exploring the spectacular reefs and turquoise waters of South Caicos, snorkeling or diving with rays, turtles, brilliantly colored fish, and other marine life. In this introductory course, you’ll learn how to identify key marine species, study the connection and co-dependence of the island’s ecosystems, and explore the environmental issues impacting these habitats and the island community.
- Lay underwater transects and assess the health of the island’s coral reefs, which are among the largest in the world and are home to diverse marine species including the valuable queen conch.
- Students who plan to dive during the program must complete SCUBA Open Water (OW) certification prior to the start of the program. Advanced Open Water certification may be offered on program depending on interest. Read more about PADI SCUBA certifications on the program page on the SFS website (click the Learn More button below).
SFS students live and study at the Center for Marine Resource Studies. The Center is a small converted hotel overlooking the crystalline waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Spectacular sunsets, open-air facilities, warm sunshine, and a refreshing ocean breeze define this marine field station. A five-minute walk brings you to the small, historic town of Cockburn Harbour, where students and faculty frequently engage in community activities.
- Marine ecology and conservation
- Climate change and impacts on the ocean
- Marine protected areas
- Marine resource management strategies
- Sustainable tourism and fisheries practices
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube