Due to COVID-19, on June 18, 2020, W&M continued its suspension of all study abroad programs for the Fall 2020 semester.
However, students have the opportunity to petition for an exception if they feel there are extraordinary circumstances. Special consideration will be given in cases where students are seeking to study in their home country due to challenges returning to campus.
The International Travel Review Committee (ITRC) will review petitions on a rolling basis and will consider the following factors in evaluating each application:
- COVID-19 circumstances onsite
- Level of local familiarity, especially residency in proposed study abroad host country
- Extent of support resources through program or personally
- Individual preparation for the study abroad experience, including linguistic preparation, previous in-country experience
- Urgency of why need to study abroad in fall 2020
- Pandemic response plans of program
Deadline for Fall 2020 petitions: August 1, 2020.
Please note that without an exception granted by the ITRC, students will not able to study abroad in the fall as an active student and will not be able to transfer back credits.
While your petition is being reviewed, please make sure you are/remain registered for Fall 2020 courses and housing in case the petition is not approved.
For questions regarding risk, health and safety, please contact Nick Vasquez
, International Travel and Security Manager. For questions related to study abroad programs and processes, please contact your global education advisor or firstname.lastname@example.org