In line with the W&M International Travel Policy, given the current CDC and Department of State Travel Alerts, students may only study abroad for the Summer 2021 semester if they receive prior approval by the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). As in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, students have the opportunity to petition for an exception if they feel there are extraordinary circumstances. Special consideration will be given in cases where students are seeking to study in their home country due to challenges returning to campus.
The International Travel Review Committee (ITRC) will review petitions on a rolling basis and will consider the following factors in evaluating each application:
- COVID-19 circumstances onsite
- Pandemic response plans of program
- Level of local familiarity, especially residency in proposed study abroad host country
- Extent of support resources through program or personally
- Individual preparation for the study abroad experience, including linguistic preparation, previous in-country experience
- Urgency of why need to study abroad in Summer 2021
Deadline for Summer 2021 petitions is April 1st, 2021.
Petitions will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we encourage you to apply ahead of the deadline if you need an earlier response.
Please note that without an exception granted by the ITRC, students will not able to study abroad as an active student and will not be able to transfer back credits.
While your petition is being reviewed, please make sure you consider your Summer 2021 plans, in case the petition is not approved.
For questions regarding risk, health and safety, please contact Nick Vasquez
, International Travel and Security Manager. For questions related to study abroad programs and processes, please contact your global education advisor or email@example.com