It is hard not to be caught by the pulsing energy of this dynamic metropolis! The life of Rio is out in the open, in the streets and on the beaches under the tropical sun.
Study in Rio on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas. No matter how you build your program, you will surround yourself with the culture and people of this vibrant, bustling city.
by breathtaking landscapes. Rio de Janeiro is surrounded by mountains and sea resting between the Guanabara Bay and the Atlantic ocean.
yourself in Rio’s rich and diverse arts culture and understand Samba and Carnival beyond the clichés. In Rio, you can go listen to live music locally produced any day of the week!
Rio's modernist architecture. Across the Guanabara Bay lies the city of Niterói where you'll see futurist architecture by Oscar Niemeyer, including the iconic Museu de Arte Contemporânea, shaped like a flying saucer, and the famous Popular Theater of Niterói.
Excursions & Activities
During your study abroad in Rio, you may enjoy some of these activities:
- Take a Study Tour trip to Salvador da Bahia and discover vibrant Afro-diaspora cultural traditions.
- See why Brazilians are mad about football by attending a live match at the Maracanã, one of the world´s biggest soccer stadium.
- Take percussion lessons with professional samba players.
- Immerse yourself in Rio’s rich local culture during Carnival and many other festivities.
- Experience a capoeira lesson.
- Take a hike on one of the many trails through the Atlantic Forest that envelopes the city. You can even hike to the top of Corcovado mountain, where the Christ the Redeemer statues awaits you.
Projects, Volunteer Opportunities, or Internships
Volunteer Opportunities: give back and create a deeper connection to Rio de Janeiro. In a country known for urban poverty, you will gain as much as you give, helping with education, health, or community building. Teach English, foster professional skills in women, and much more.
Students interested in one of the following Academic Projects must submit additional materials as part of their course selection:
Service-Learning: combine course-based learning with practical, relevant project experience to meet a community-defined need.
?Research: pursue a research project of your own design incorporating independent and local fieldwork.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport pick-up
- Multi-day on-site orientation – introducing students to Rio de Janeiro's society and culture, and the CIEE academic program.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight study tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Approximate Decision Date (Subject To Change)||Start Date||End Date|