| Course Information
| W&M Faculty
| Program Fees
** Please note this program is not running in Summer 2021
Beijing is the capital of China and is the nation's political, cultural, and educational center. A mix of ancient palaces, temples, gardens, tombs, and modern architecture, it is known for both its cutting edge modernity and preservation of ancient sites. The city is home to seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Forbidden City and parts of the Great Wall. Beijing has hosted numerous international and national sporting events, the most notable being the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Beijing will also host the 2022 Winter Olympics, making it the first city ever to host both Summer and Winter Olympics.
Beijing W&M Summer Program Video
Landmarks and Things to Do:
Great Wall of China http://www.mutianyugreatwall.com/en/home
; Wangfujing is one of the most famous shopping streets in Beijing located in the Dongcheng District; Beihai Park http://www.beihaipark.com.cn/
; Jingshan Park is an imperial park which offers views of the Forbidden City.
The College of William & Mary’s summer program in Beijing takes place at Beijing Normal University. This program gives students seven weeks of Mandarin language and cultural immersion and provides an opportunity for students to conduct research in Beijing. Students will have a personal language partner and faculty support for independent research. Students will take courses in Chinese language, literature, and culture, possibly a 1 credit course in martial arts. The program also includes weekly excursions in Beijing, as well as faculty-led weekend excursions to cultural areas outside of Beijing. Past trips have included Shenyang and its Industrial Zones, and Wutai Mountain and Pingyao City.
Students will live in dormitories.
One year of college-level Mandarin.
Students will earn 11 credits through the Beijing summer program. Enrollment in language courses is dependent on prior knowledge. Summer 2018 courses are:
- CHIN 200/300/400: Intermediate/Advanced Intermediate Chinese; Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing (8 credits)
- CHIN 303: Chinese Languages and Society (3 credits)
There is a required 1 credit course to be taken in the Spring prior to departure, which you will be registered for following program acceptance. This course is designed specifically for students going on the summer program and is intended to enhance your cross-cultural understanding of Beijing and to cover a variety of pre-departure information. The scheduling of this course will be dependent on the class times possible for program participants.
Courses are taught by W&M faculty and faculty at a local Chinese University. Grades will appear on the W&M transcript and will be included in GPA calculations.
W&M Faculty: Qian Su
Arrival date: mid June 2021
Departure date: the beginning of August 2021
Application ($75*): February 1
Deposit ($600): March 12
Final payment: April 1
*A $75 application fee applies, to be paid to the Bursar’s Office. Please note that the application and deposit fees are non-refundable.
2020 Program fee:$6,255
2021 Program fee-TBD
Students are responsible for meals, visa expenses and airfare.
To view the estimated costs for this program and important payment information, please visit here.
Reves Summer Scholarships are available for this program.
- Welcome dinner
- On-Site Orientation
- Fulfills COLL 300
- Ground transportation
- Farewell dinner
- Re-entry Programming
- Some excursion admissions tickets
- Some day or weekend excursions depending on the program
- CISI Insurance
- Wifi- depending on the program. Please check with your Global Education Advisor
- On-site support services
- W&M credits taught by W&M faculty
- Partnership with highly ranked prestigious host university to offer reputable and rigorous academic coursework
- A meal stipend is included to cover some of the meals and water during the week
- Students must be an active W&M undergraduate student in good standing, not on academic or disciplinary probation during time abroad, and eligible to take classes at the W&M Williamsburg campus to study abroad.
- Students currently on-campus must successfully complete 1 credit spring course.
- For more information about eligibility, please visit our Policies that Affect You page.